The Samsung Galaxy S6 was released back in 2015 and the latest reports pertaining to this device suggest that Samsung has rolled out the Android 6.0.0 Marshmallow update for it. the Galaxy S6s with the model number of G920F are currently eligible to receive the update via XXU3DPAD.
Apparently, the new update brings a new version of the TouchWiz interface of Samsung along with the brand new OS. Users have often complained that they cannot remove unnecessary pre-installed apps from the device which occupy space. However, after application of the latest update, users will be able to uninstall pre-installed apps from the Galaxy S6.
Along with the new TouchWiz interface, some other new features that will be incorporated into the device via the update include the Doze Mode, Android Pay and fingerprint support.
However, it should be noted that the firmware is unbranded and it should be kept in mind that the firmware is meant only for Galaxy S6 which has a model number of G920F. Trying to install the update on any other variant of the S6 might result in corruption or damage of the device.
The steps and required links to download and install the update on the Samsung Galaxy S6 (G920F) are given below-
- Firstly, users are advised to download and install TWRP Recovery Tool on the device.
- Then they should backup all the required data on the device.
- Thirdly, the required USB driver based on platform required to connect the device to a PC or laptop needs to be downloaded and installed on the PC or laptop.
- Then the Android 6.0.1 firmware needs to be downloaded. Users can download it from this link. After the download is complete, the zip file has to be extracted.
- Version 3.09 of Odin is also required for the installation process. It can be acquired here.
- After that, users will have to turn off the phone.
- Then the download mode has to be entered by pressing and holding down the home and the volume down buttons together.
- Then the power button needs to be pressed twice.
- The Odin software downloaded on the PC needs to be opened next.
- After connecting the phone to the PC users will have to wait for some time till the ID:COM boxes with the COM port number turn yellow.
- The files that has to be flashed on the phone needs to be selected by the user.
- After doing that, they will have to make sure that the Auto Reboot and the F. Reset Time options are checked in Odin.
- A Start button will appear in Odin and clicking it will kick off the installation process.
- It might take some time and on successful completion of the process, the device will be upgraded to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. Users can head over to Settings> About phone to check the software version.
Readers should take note that the process is quite a technical one and they should abstain from undertaking it if they not absolutely confident about it. Dayherald will not be responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure fails to yield the desired result or any damage to the device is caused during it. Readers who do not possess sound technical knowledge are advised not to undertake the procedure.
The next iteration of Android OS, that is the Android N was just recently announced by Google. It will be released at the Google I/O 2016 which is scheduled to begin on May 18. It will come to an end on May 20.
Various reports suggest that Samsung will roll out the Android N OS for the Galaxy S6 at a later point of time in the ongoing year. Some other devices that might receive the update too include- Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy S6 Duos, and Galaxy Note 5.